Sunday, October 16, 2016

Disney Stock- Is the cost to society worth it?

One of my assignments for my Political Economy class is to participate in a virtual stock exchange simulation. We each were given $100,000, and the goal is to beat the teacher's randomly selected stock (RSP) portfolio. This counts for 10% of our grade.

My stock has not been doing too well. The RSP is up 6% and I've made $37. This is one of the reasons I was drawn to this article, "10 Reasons to Buy Disney Stock and Never Sell."

However, that got me thinking. This is what gets Orenstein mad. Disney is a great investment because all they want to do is make money. Inspiring and empowering young girls (through their #DreamBigPrincess campaign, for example) will always come second to releasing a successful film that will create a franchise. What does this tell us about the products it is putting into our lives?

Is this materialistic society that Disney is cultivating worth it? At this point, is there anything we can do to stop it? It will be interesting to see how huge franchises like Frozen affect our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment