Monday, October 24, 2016

*sung to the tune of "Do You Want to Build a Snowman"* Do you want to read my blog post?

"For the first time ever" I decided to "let it go" on a Monday and watch Frozen to relax. It certainly did the trick. Between the incredible music, phenomenal characters, and intriguing plot, it's no wonder that the entire world fell in love with Frozen. I don't think it's possible to finish that movie in a bad mood. America has been #living for Frozen since its release in 2013.

Some have tried to explain the reasons why Frozen was so successful. For me, I love it because it's relatable. I love my siblings more than anything else in the world, so I can certainly identify with the sisters in the film. Elsa as a character is also very relatable. Everyone at one time or another has felt uncomfortable in their own skin for whatever reason, whether it be sexuality, race, or nationality, for example. "Let It Go" is a reminder that we are all stronger than our insecurities. The song has remained an anthem to be proud of who you are for the past three years.

Quite a community has been created on the Internet surrounding Frozen. Ever since the sequel was announced, they have been very vocal. They want many things, but something they have been adamant about it giving Elsa a girlfriend in the sequel.

I would love to see a princess with a girlfriend. I definitely think that is the future of Disney films. The films can be an important tool in order to raise the next generation with compassion for all sexual orientations. But I think giving Elsa a girlfriend would take away some of the power of the original story. Isn't her living happily ever after with a girl the same as living happily ever after with a man? Isn't that the problem that people have with Disney films? I think it would be a cool opportunity for Disney to just let Elsa run her queendom independently. That, in my opinion, would be just as groundbreaking as a lesbian Queen. It will be interesting to see what the creative team at Disney decides to do.

Also, Frozen does include Disney's first gay character and his family. Oaken, the owner of Wandering Oak's Trading Post and Sauna is seen onscreen with his family. I wish we could learn more about them and that they could have been onscreen longer. But at nearly one hour and 35 minutes, Frozen was already lengthy for its target audience. Image result for oaken frozen family


One thing I am excited for in the Frozen sequel is more music. Even though Frozen came out when I was a sophomore in high school, I listened to the album all day long. The music transcended the film, making Frozen even more popular through word (song?) of mouth. Film critic Tim Robey thinks there will be a big duet with the sisters in the sequel:



Can I just say #BLESSED? My favorite song in the movie is the one that the two girls sing together, "For the First Time in Forever- Reprise." 10/10 would recommend a listen:



The casting is honestly perfect. Kristen Bell and Idina Menzel are my actual queens. Gossip Girl and Elphaba? Have I died and gone to heaven? Also, Josh Gad is probably one of the funniest people alive. And don't even get me started on Jonathan Groff. With a cast like this, there was honestly no way this movie couldn't be a hit. Look how cute they are!





A photo posted by Josh Gad (@joshgad) on

Some things that I really love about Frozen are that it breaks Disney norms. As Union College psychologist Erika Wells said "The handsome prince is evil. The person with the magical powers is good. It spins Disney on its head.” The leads are both strong, inspiring, and yet very different females. They talk about things other than men and do all of the rescuing themselves. Who says that true love can only be romantic love? Sister power. It's kind of incredible that the same company that had female characters singing "Leave the sewing to the women" has transformed to have its principle belting beautifully "It's time to see what I can do, to test the limits and break through. No right, no wrong, no rules for me. I'm free!"

I'll be real though, not everything in Frozen is perfect. Elsa and Anna's parents die in the first ten minutes. #RIPAllDisneyParents. There's hardly any diversity in Arendelle. Also, the men don't sing nearly as much as the women. I'd love to hear Jonathan Groff sing every song in the world. At least the Internet has this:



Frozen goes beyond in terms of plot line, music, casting, message, and fandom. The merchandise, spin off short films (check out Frozen Fever), and costumes are honestly and empire of their own. This leaves much to be desired in Disney's next princess film, Moana. With composers like Lin-Manuel Miranda and actors like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, hopefully it will bring the same great energy as Frozen did to people all around the globe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment