Sunday, September 18, 2016

Cinderelly, Cinderelly

This weekend, I watched the Disney film of Cinderella, and read the Charles Perrault and Brothers Grimm versions of the story. They all could not have been more different!

I had not seen the Disney film version for many years. It was quite short, only about an hour and fifteen minutes, which I was pleasantly surprised about. I couldn't believe how prehistoric the animation looked compared to what we are used to today with films such as Tangled and Brave. The mice and birds were all so cute! I forgot what a big role they have in the story. In fact, I think Cinderella interacts mostly with animals, including the dog named Bruno, and the cat named Lucifer. I never picked up on that allusion to the devil before. However, that allusion does not even compare to the darkness that was the Brothers Grimm version!

I found myself cringing when the Brothers Grimm wrote about the stepsisters cutting their toes and heels off in order for the feet to fit the golden slipper. I hate blood! This story also involved the incorporation of animals in the form of pigeons singing to the prince that he had the wrong bride. This version didn't have a fairy godmother. Instead, Cinderella would visit her mother's grave and a white bird would give her whatever she wished for. This made no sense to me but I guess that's why it's a fairy tale.

The Perrault version wasn't as dark as the Brothers Grimm or as unrealistically happy as the Disney film. Cinderella certainly underwent abuse and hardships, but no stepsisters were blinded or self-amputated. In this version, I think you see Cinderella's kindness the most. She gives her stepsisters gifts at the ball and once she is married to the Prince she sets the up with good guys and gives them rooms in the palace. I'm not sure if I would be so nice if I was her!

I am glad I read and watched all of these versions of Cinderella. It's a classic story that has been written in many ways, which I think is pretty fascinating!

No comments:

Post a Comment