Sunday, September 11, 2016

Friend Requests and Disney Princess

This weekend, I spent some time looking at the Disney Princess Facebook page. Boy, was there a lot to look at. Between the #DreamBigPrincess campaign, a video telling the story of “Beauty and the Beast in emoji’s, and a whole lot of Disney Princess tennis racket covers, I certainly felt overwhelmed. However, there was one comment on a post that immediately grabbed my attention. One mom wrote:

For my 6-year-old daughter this is awesome. I do wish there was more movies for my 5-year-old son that had a boy or man as the star. Not a car or a toy or animal. There's so many strong princesses for my daughter to look up to. I want to see something like that for my son.”

This grabbed my attention for a few reasons. First, although there is no “Disney Prince” Facebook page, men certainly are the stars of many Disney films. In the Guo article titled “Researchers have found a major problem with ‘The Little Mermaid’ and other Disney movies,” it is proven that especially during the second wave of films, the men speak significantly more than women. In class we often discuss how the Disney Princesses don’t really do much. The first wave all essentially just clean their homes and look beautiful. Belle is the pseudo feminist because she likes to read, but that’s basically it. So how have we never examined the princes and the fact that they largely do nothing either? The Beast and Prince Charming, for example, just sit in their castles until a woman comes along and shakes things up. I wonder why Disney has not marketed the princes in the same way they promote the Disney Princess brand. Appealing to boys would only help them increase their capital. Perhaps they have tried and failed in the past.

Another thing that caused me to chuckle is that the woman said there are so many strong princesses for her daughter to look up to. I believe this is true especially with the third generation of princesses. Yet, here are these strong role models plastered onto tennis racket covers captioned with “Which one inspires you to #DreamBigPrincess?” Like what? A tennis racket cover has never inspired me. Random branding like that grinds my gears because it’s just such an obvious marketing scheme. Doesn’t it degrade how respectable these characters like Tiana and Merida are?

I suppose the #DreamBigPrincess videos aren’t awful. The cinematography and incorporation of film clips is exceptional, as to be expected of Disney. They inspire girls to do more than just sit and wait for a man, so that’s good. I do not know if they are available anywhere other than Facebook, though. If they are only on Facebook, how are little girls supposed to see them? They obviously don’t have social media accounts (I’d hope).

All in all, the Disney Princess Facebook page is kind of ridiculous, but it’s fine. I was expecting to just see Disney marketing its products on the page, but it actually had some inspirational content for young girls, too. It is an interesting space for mothers with daughters to interact and share their thoughts about the franchise.


No comments:

Post a Comment